About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am railway and aviation enthusiast who loves to travel. I am happiest when I am traveling.

Friday 8 November 2013

The Malindo experience part 1

Excited to hear that Malindo was introducing flights to Denpasar Bali, I jumped at the chance of flying there at a rock bottom promo fare. This was also a great opportunity to check-out their service. So let’s start.

Well it was a rocky start……I was happy to find out that they had introduced online check-in and wanted to use that service. I tried and tried and tried but I couldn’t so I finally called their call centre and was told that it’s only for domestic flights. Then why on earth don’t they say that on their web site? Why waste my time?

So I head to the airport the next day bright and early and horror of all horror when I get to the check-in area. Total chaos! Only 5 counters but a huge crowd with no really defined queue. Each counter displayed a different flight number with none displaying OD306 to Denpasar. The business class counter had the OD306 number but when I got to it was told “Are you business class, if not go another counter” I asked “which one?”, she replied “anyone!”. If we could use any counter then they should state OPEN and not display specific flights. After a long wait and hearing many asking around where to go to check-in, I get my boarding pass and head in to the departure gate.



It’s a full flight today and we are all on board before the 0920hrs scheduled departure time. Then the crew keep doing head counts over and over again and we wait and wait. At around 0940hrs the pilot comes over the PA saying that we are waiting for “documents”. So we wait and wait until finally at around 1005hrs we push back and taxi. At 1020hrs, 1 hour late we finally take off.

How is the in-flight product? I must say the 737-900ER in the Malindo configuration is the best! The seat is comfortable with excellent pitch of 32” which is far better than the 30” on the MAS (5 star my foot!) 737-800 and the same with the AirAsia regular seats. The seat also has a very very limited IFE system with a few movies and games. While watching is “free”, if you don’t have your headphones, you have to buy a really lousy poor quality one from the crew for RM15.
Excellent leg room which is very important to me
The flight Map on the IFE system
A full flight


Food and crew? Coming soon.......... in part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment