About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am railway and aviation enthusiast who loves to travel. I am happiest when I am traveling.

Thursday 21 November 2013

A Betterfly on the RBA 787 Dreamliner part 2

FIRST IMPRESSION

Boeing marketing was selling the idea of a grand archway entry that the 787 was to welcome it's passengers.......Well the accountants in the airlines made sure that this wasn't going to happen, like always you walk through a galley at door 2L of the 787. Turn left into the economy cabin and ...... errrr nothing really. A very bland looking economy cabin with nine abreast seating in sets of three's. RBA has chosen a boring light blue fabric for it's economy seats. Was hoping to see a more vibrant colour design.
Boring blue
I sit down in my seat and find great leg room. The slim seats and 32" pitch makes it comfortable for me.

Good legroom

What I love about the seats is the power socket between each seat and that below the seats in front there is no seat legs between the window and middle seat giving you a lot more space. There is also no IFE box to take up legroom.


 
The seat has a TV monitor but the selection of movies is limited, no where close to the ICE of Emirates. The weird thing is that the crew call is now located on the TV screen so during the flight there is the constant "bing" of the call button as the passengers hit it by mistake when using the IFE.


The best best best innovation on the dreamliner has to be the electro-chromatic dimmable windows. Simply press the button and the window will change from light to dark cutting out the sun but you still get to see out.
                                            50% and 100% tint
The larger window are also another plus for me because when I fly, I hardly watch the IFE but instead I can stare out of the window for hours. 

So let's check the advertised reasons why the 787 is better according to RBA.

1. Dynamic LED lighting for smoother transitions from day to night across time zones. Well I didn't travel across time zones so can't really judge it but the LED lighting was nice.
                                           pink lighting during meal service

2. Power-up on board. Yes love the power points.
3. 9 inch touch screen with USB. The selection is limited.
4. 30% larger windows provide a clearer view with 5 tint settings. Superb
5. Quieter flight. Yes it wasn't as loud as older planes.
6. Smooth ride technology. Yes it was smooth but when we did hit turbulence and we still got bumped up and down
7. Spacious design bins. Yup larger luggage bins
8. Less cabin fatigue. Too short a flight to gauge it.

Finally I have to say I have fallen in love with the 787...it was love at first flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment