About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am railway and aviation enthusiast who loves to travel. I am happiest when I am traveling.

Saturday 2 August 2014

Wau to KL


My previous post was about my day trip down the east coast line and this is a short report about my night journey on the Ekspres Wau from Tumpat to Kuala Lumpur. This time it began with a drive to the town of Tumpat. A nice drive pass paddy fields before arriving at the station which marks the end of the line for the east coast line.
Pass rural Kelantan on the way to Tumpat

Tumpat, last stop on the east coast
It's a simple railway station with just one platform and the evening sun was beating down hard when I arrived. Opposite the platform are where the resting trains await their next journey.
The end of the line



A class 25 will be hauling the train to Singapore

That is where they are cleaned and readied for service

Long platform baking in the evening sun
About 20 minutes before our departure the long 14 coach train is backed into our platform. There are just a handful of passengers as most will be boarding at Wakaf Bharu.
The exterior of my coach

Two YDM locomotives will be hauling our long train

Some last minute checks


The very colourful second class sleeping berth coach
On the dot at 6pm we pull out of Tumpat and head towards Wakaf Bharu. Once again lovely views of paddy fields as we race to our first stop.
The level crossing as we leave Tumpat Station

Beautiful views
The first class cabin that I took for myself is comfortable. A table, a sink and 2 beds make up this simple cabin. I brought along loads of food plus my macbook for entertainment. A bottle of water and a cake is given and the staff asked if I would like to order dinner and also what time would I like to have breakfast but I declined as I have stocked up on supplies.
Clean and comfortable. Value for money
The very very narrow corridor
The rest of the train is made up of second class berths and second class seating plus a buffet coach.
Second class berths
Soon we arrive at Wakaf Bharu where a huge crowd is waiting fill up the train.
Pulling into Wakaf Bharu

Here they come!

Crossing another train hauled by a class 23 loco
Passing the now disused branch line to Rantau Panjang and Sungai Golok in Thailand
 After Wakaf Bharu the train staff came around to check my ticket and I am left alone until we arrive in KL. Once the sun sets, I make myself comfortable and watch 2 movies before falling off to sleep and waking up somewhere near Seremban the next morning. While I did wake up sometimes when the train stopped at stations, on the whole it was a good nights sleep.
Passing Seri Kembangan the next morning
You always know you have arrived in KL when the skyline emerges into view at Sungai Besi
It was a really good trip by train but the only thing was once it gets dark there is nothing to see outside. Currently KTM has withdrawn the first class coaches from their night train services until further notice for major refurbishment. Hopefully they will return soon with a good makeover. Thanks for stopping by to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment