About Me

My photo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am railway and aviation enthusiast who loves to travel. I am happiest when I am traveling.

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Firefly to Langkawi

It's been a while since I visited Langkawi and I was invited to host an event there. I managed to get a zero fare return ticket and only paid for tax and admin fee for a total of RM85.

A few days before departure I received an email offering the extra seat for RM15 per sector subject to availability and will be informed of the result 4 hours before departure. They used to partner Optiontown for this service but now they have gone on their own.

Just as I was about to leave for the airport I received an email saying that I failed and that no extra seat was available. During the online check-in I was auto assigned a window seat that I didn't want.

At the baggage drop off counter, I mention to the staff if it was possible to change to an aisle seat. She checked and said the aisle seats were only available at the Preferred Seat rows. She called her supervisor, who overrode the system and assigned me a seat at row 17 which was a Preferred Seat row. Once onboard I noticed that the Preferred seat rows were empty but the normal rows were all occupied.

The busy SZB apron
 The flight was operated by an ATR72-500 series aircraft 9M-FYE. Boarding commenced 15 minutes to departure and we pushed back right on time.



The cabin was in need of a good clean. The overhead bin once had advertisment but have been removed but has left the bins stained. The cabin does look a bit tired.

Dirty and stained overhead bins
  Legroom was tight but bearable for the short flight. The seat pocket had the inflight magazine, safety card and sick bag. The inflight sale list was missing.


The empty Preferred Seat row

The window of the aircraft was filthy! I could not take a decent photo because of the condition of the window.


In flight service was the usual for Firefly, polite but nothing outstanding. Drinks were a choice of Manggo juice or Soya milk and snacks were a choice of peanuts or muffin.


We landed on time and overall it was a pleasant flight, affordable and comfortable. After a short walk to the terminal, waited about 5 minutes for the first bag to arrive.

The baggage hall of LGK
Firefly has always been my first choice for domestic flights as I prefer flying out of Subang rather than KLIA. However since Malindo came into the picture I have flown with them too. They have newer and cleaner planes and Firefly better start improving their product or they will loose out to Malindo.

The newer 600 series at Subang on my return flight

No comments:

Post a Comment